Lesson 5 – “The Strange Place”
Brief Introduction Text
In this lesson you will give the same small simple speech you gave in the other lessons in an unfamiliar and formal room, ideally a lecture theatre, meeting room, or any room with a well-defined presentation area. You will speak to yourself as you did in Lesson 2. There is no need for anyone else.
You will experience real feelings and sensations closely resembling a live speech to an audience, just without the audience. You will recall how it is possible to be nervous when imaging speaking in your familiar room. This Lesson is an advanced version of Lesson 2, and a really good chance to show yourself how far you have progressed.
Become “comfortable enough” with speaking to yourself in an unfamiliar formal room. You should choose a room that is a more formal environment (meeting room, lecture hall, etc). Give your speech from the clear public speaking position in that room.
Become “comfortable enough” with speaking in a second unfamiliar formal room. If you can, find another room and give yourself a speech there, then you will give yourself a big boost.
N.B. Completing the stretch goal is NOT required to progress to the next lesson If you feel “comfortable enough” with the primary goal, then you can push yourself further and improve faster by completing the stretch goal. Again, this is not required, so there is no need to feel bad about yourself if you don’t do it. Just give it a try if you can!
The lesson consist of two exercises, and you will repeat both the exercise within the lesson
There is an evaluation after each pair of exercises
1 Lesson = 20-30 minutes
Aim to do at least 2 sessions in the week, ideally 3 (should be on separate days)
N.B. You can repeat a session more often than that if you wish
What You Need
· An unfamiliar formal room (meeting room, lecture theatre, etc)…a quiet one.
· 20-30 minutes for yourself (if you really can’t find 20 minutes, then take what you can get….I know that life can be busy sometimes)
· Access to your computer is handy (for material review) but not required – you will get the idea soon enough.
· The ABC Speaking Skills Lesson 5 Worksheet
· Pencil or Pen
Lesson 5 – List of Materials
Lesson 5 Introduction Page
Lesson 5 Pre-Lesson Material
Lesson 5 ABC Speaking Skills Worksheet
Lesson 5 Lesson Video
ABC Speaking Skills Self Evaluation Guide
Lesson 5 Post-Lesson Material and Review
Brief Introduction to Lesson 6
How to Use the Material (my recommended reading/working order)
· Start at the overview page – read the description, goals, and requirements
· Read/Watch/Listen to Dan’s Pre-Lesson Material
· Watch the material with your companion
· Watch the lesson video with your companion
· Do the exercise(s)
· Evaluate and consider the lesson, again with your companion, write on your printed worksheet
· Give yourself some time to think (maybe an evening)
· Watch the lesson video again and repeat the lesson at a convenient time
· Evaluate again, again with your companion if you can
· Give yourself a day off
· Consider repeating a third time or going for the stretch goal
· Read/Watch/Listen to Dan’s Post-Lesson Material
If you are ready, then assuming you read this page, you can go straight the pre-Lesson material.
Lesson 5 – High Level Structure
Stand, Imagine, Experience, Speak, Q&A, Experience, Reflect, Grade