Lesson 3 – The Chosen One
Brief Introduction Text
In this lesson you will give the same small simple speech you gave in Lesson 2 to your trusted friend or family member (The Chosen One) in familiar surroundings (your home). You will have a gentle question and answer session with your friend/family member.
This lesson will be a great chance to show off the confidence you built during the exercises in Lesson 1 and Lesson 2.
You will experience specific feelings and sensations closely resembling a live speech to an audience, yet still in a safe and controlled environment with a supportive person.
Become “comfortable enough” with speaking to one person from the front of a familiar room, in the same “public speaking position” that you used in Lesson 1 and Lesson 2. Also, you must become “comfortable enough” with some mild audience interaction via the gentle Questions and Answer session.
Become “comfortable enough” with speaking to one person from the front of adifferent familiar room, and conduct a simple Question and Answer session in that less familiar room.
N.B. Completing the stretch goal is NOT required to progress to the next lesson If you feel “comfortable enough” with the primary goal, then you can push yourself further and improve faster by completing the stretch goal. Again, this is not required, so there is no need to feel bad about yourself if you don’t do it. Just give it a try if you can!
The lesson consist of two exercises, and you will repeat both the exercise within the lesson
There is an evaluation after each pair of exercises
1 Lesson = 20-30 minutes
Aim to do at least 2 sessions in the week, ideally 3 (should be on separate days)
N.B. You can repeat a session more often than that if you wish
What You Need
* A trusted friend or family member
* 20-30 minutes for yourself and your trusted friend/family member (if you really can’t find 20 minutes, then take what you can get….I know that life can be busy sometimes)
* A quiet and familiar room, ideally your social/TV room where you spend time with friends/family
* Access to your computer is handy (for material review) but not required – you will get the idea soon enough
* N.B. You can perform the exercise outside if you wish, as long as you feel comfortable in that location
* The ABC Speaking Skills Lesson 3 Worksheet
* Pencil or Pen
Lesson 3 – List of Materials
Lesson 3 Introduction Page
Lesson 3 Pre-Lesson Material
Lesson 3 ABC Speaking Skills Worksheet
Lesson 3 Lesson Video
ABC Speaking Skills Self Evaluation Guide
Lesson 3 Post-Lesson Material and Review
Brief Introduction to Lesson 4
How to Use the Material (my recommended reading/working order)
* Start at the overview page – read the description, goals, and requirements
* Read/Watch/Listen to Dan’s Pre-Lesson Material
* Watch the material with your companion
* Watch the lesson video with your companion
* Do the exercise(s)
* Evaluate and consider the lesson, again with your companion, write on your printed worksheet
* Give yourself some time to think (maybe an evening)
* Watch the lesson video again and repeat the lesson at a convenient time
* Evaluate again, again with your companion if you can
* Give yourself a day off
* Consider repeating a third time or going for the stretch goal
* Read/Watch/Listen to Dan’s Post-Lesson Material
If you are ready, then assuming you read this page you can go straight to the pre-Lesson material.
Lesson 3 – High Level Structure
Stand, Imagine, Experience, Speak, Q&A, Experience, Reflect, Grade